Energy Security and Sustainability (ESS) Programme
Research Associate (1 July – 31 October 2020)
GLOBSEC is a Bratislava based NGO with global reach, transatlantic scope and regional focus. Traditionally a defense/security themed organization, this has begun to change in recent years with increased attention and resources devoted to climate and energy topics. In 2018, a sustainability stream was added to GLOBSEC Forum, the flagship event that annually draws an array of high-level international speakers unrivaled in the region. Tatra Summit, which has evolved into a leading platform for high-level economic policy dialogue, launched the Energy Transition Task Force in 2019 and increasingly brings Central and Eastern European (CEE) green investment and growth into focus. In the spring of 2020, the Energy Security and Sustainability (ESS) programme was established under the GLOBSEC Policy Institute (GPI). The symbiotic loop feed between research, publications, stakeholder engagement and event platforms truly make GLOBSEC an impact-oriented think and do tank.
We are searching for a well-rounded individual with clear interest, expertise and experience in EU climate, energy and macroeconomic affairs.
- Native Slovak with basic English communication skills
- Major/s: economics, econometrics, computer science/programming or other related discipline
- Advanced quantitative, analytical, and data collection/management skills
- Strong analytical skillset including qualitative scenario development
- Command of MS Excel and similar packages
- Experience with Eurostat and national data centres
- Self-starter, professional, passionate and team player
Work Programme and Deliverables
Data-driven macroeconomic narratives are at the heart of our current research projects focusing Slovakia’s policy responses to COVID-19, climate change and digitalization. There is also a regional (V4) component for comparative analysis and literature review.
Slovakia Low Carbon Economy Pathways (primary project):
- Impact assessment of low carbon scenarios (i) taking into account post COVID-19 position and (ii) more ambitious (50-55%) 2030 GHG reduction targets (based on ‘A Low Carbon Growth Study for Slovakia, Jan 2019).
Slovakia Future Auto Industry (secondary project):
- Developing a detailed picture of the Slovak auto manufacturing and supply chain landscape, disaggregating and differentiating segments, e.g. producers of automotive parts and accessories; size; value of production; export; research and development; regenerating parts in factories, etc.
- External cooperation
- 4 months with possibility to stay on for another 4 months based on performance (8 months total)
- Collaboration with a global NGO of international significance
- Shaping important climate, energy and economic policy in the Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) region
- Possibility of future collaboration
If your profile meets the requirements and you have resonated with this opportunity, please get in touch and send your resumé to [email protected]. We reserve the right to contact only selected candidates.
Personal data included in your CV and cover letter will be processed for the purpose of applying for the above-described position and in the extent determined by personal data contained in curriculum vitae or any similar document of the applicant, not longer than for a period necessary to achieve the purpose of such processing. As a data subject, you have the right to access to your personal data, right to rectification in case of incorrect data, right to portability, right to have your data destroyed, right to object the use of your data for direct marketing, mailing contact and system automated decisions and right to lodge a complaint with supervisory authority. You are not under any obligation to provide us with your personal data but your application without personal data may not be processed properly. Your personal data shall stay confidential and we are not providing it to any third party. You can contact our Data Protection Officer at our address or via email at [email protected].