During the week of May 23 – 27 2016, the 1st European Cafés Tour will be organised in the eastern regions of Georgia. Slovak and Georgian speakers will visit the following cities: Rustavi, Marneuli, Telavi, Akhalkalaki, Tianeti, Mtskheta and Gori.
The European Cafés offer community-level debates between trusted experts, local community leaders and the wider public of Georgian regions on key societal issues, based on the Slovak and Central European countries´ EU-integration experiences and stories. Two Slovak speakers, Mr. Michal Biganič – businessman, former Mayor of Stara Lubovna and former diplomat; and prof. Ms. Mária Kadlečíková – agricultural economist and former UN FAO representative for Georgia, will share real stories of Slovakia’s European integration process.
The project activity aims to help empower the regional public and community leaders and entrepreneurs and to raise their awareness and understanding of the integration-related changes and processes relevant for Georgian citizens. The project also has the ambition to foster an open, constructive, balanced and fact-based community-level debate with local leaders and locally influential multipliers on Georgia’s association and cooperation with the EU. The main focus will be put on implications for Georgian citizens stemming from the Association agreement with the EU, DCFTA and visa liberalisation.
The first European Café Tour public discussions will take place at the following locations:
- Marneuli on May 23, 2016 at 12:00 – 13:30, address: Marneuli Municipality administrative building, Rustaveli st. 73.
- Rustavi on May 23, 2016 at 14:30 – 16:00, address: City Hall of Rustavi, Administrative building, Kostava St. 20
- Telavi on May 24, 2016 at 13:30 – 15:00, address: City Hall of Telavi, Administrative building, Erekle II Ave. 16
- Akhalkalaki on May 25, 2016 at 14:00–15:30, address: Akhalkalaki Municipality administrative building, Charentsi St. 11
- Tianeti on May 27, 2016 at 10:00 – 11:30, address: Tianeti Municipality administrative building, Rustaveli St. 67
- Mtskheta on May 27, 2016 at 14:00 – 15:30, address: Administrative building of Administration of the State Representative – Governor of Mtskheta-Mtianeti. Aghmashenebeli Ave. 73
- Gori on May 27, 2016 at 16:30 – 18:00, address: City Hall of Gori Municipality, administrative building. Stalin St. 16
The “European Café Tour” is a project activity organised within the “Georgia on EUropean Way“ project. The project is implemented by the GLOBSEC Policy Institute (formerly Slovak Atlantic Commission) in Georgia in the period from March 2016 – March 2017 and in cooperation with the Information Center on NATO and EU and with the support of the SlovakAid.
The project is implemented under the auspices of the Office of the State Minister of Georgia on European and Euro-Atlantic Integration and the Embassy of the Slovak Republic to Georgia. The project consists of various project activities, which have an ambition to support the improvement of cooperation between civil society and state institutions in Georgia, as well as to raise public awareness about issues related to the European integration, by sharing Slovak experience with the citizens of Georgia, especially in regions outside the capital.