The GLOBSEC NATO Adaptation Initiative is a prominent policy-oriented project that seeks to positively shape the future strength, resourcefulness and interoperability of the Alliance. Its origins can be traced to the 2016 NATO Summit in Warsaw, an event which inspired us to embark upon this unique and ambitious endeavour.
Led by General (Retd.) John R Allen, the Initiative integrates policy expertise, institutional knowledge, intellectual rigour and industrial perspectives. It ultimately seeks to provide innovative and thoughtful solutions for the leaders of the Alliance to make NATO more a resilient, responsive and efficient anchor of transatlantic stability. Hence, on the occasion of the 50th Anniversary of the Harmel Report, the GNAI Steering Committee is presenting its recommendations of the future tasks for the process of NATO adaptation, namely:
- to strengthen NATO’s deterrence and defence posture to prevent conflict and deter aggression
- by increasing the level of NATO military ambition – concentrating on all NATO’s non-nuclear conventional forces, including cyber means and emerging technologies.
- in order to achieve a strengthened NATO role in counter-terrorism, striking a new balanced engagement with Russia, reassure Eastern European nations seeking freedom and democracy about NATO´s interest in their stability and security.
- without sacrificing NATO´s cooperative security-related ambitions across the Middle East, North Africa and beyond.
- and embarking on a mutually beneficial partnership with the European Union to foster an ever-closer practical cooperation on matters of shared concern and establish more efficient financial burden-sharing between the two coasts of the Atlantic.
The GLOBSEC NATO Adaptation Initiative Steering Committee will present its final report on Monday 27 November 2017 during a series of meetings hosted by the Permanent Delegation of the Slovak Republic to NATO. We look forward to providing our readers and followers with additional content and information on this unique project in the coming days and weeks.