Heidi is an expert in European foreign policy politics, European diplomacy and the EU in global politics. Since April 2020 she is a Marie Curie Research fellow at the University of Bristol, leading the project “EuroDipl: the added value of European diplomacy coordination”. She is also a Research Associate at the Department of Politics and International Relations at the University of Oxford and Visiting Professor in European Diplomacy at the College of Europe in Bruges.
Heidi´s research explains how and why states interact diplomatically in a poly-centric and networked 21st-century environment, what value and expectations they attach to their diplomatic interactions, and how their diplomatic approach balances between innovation and tradition. In particular, she is interested to add conceptually and empirically to our understanding of how the EU (its member states, institutions and citizens) perceive the added value of cooperating diplomatically and how domestic politics influences the willingness for an active foreign policy identity.
Most recent publications:
- Heidi Maurer (2021). The European External Action Service. In: Palgrave Handbook of EU Crisis, edited by Marianne Riddervold, Jarle Trondal, Akasemi Newsome.
- Heidi Maurer & Nick Wright (2020, open access). Still governing in the shadows? Member states and the Political & Security Committee in the post‐Lisbon EU foreign policy architecture. Journal of Common Market Studies. (early view)
- Heidi Maurer & Nick Wright (2020, open access). A New Paradigm for EU Diplomacy? EU Council Negotiations in a Time of Physical Restrictions. Hague Journal of Diplomacy 15(4), 556-568.
- Heidi Maurer & J.-H. Morgenstern-Pomorski (2018). The Quest for Internal Legitimacy: The EEAS, EU delegations and the contested structures of European diplomacy. Global Affairs, 4(2-3), 305-316.
- Federici Bicchi & Heidi Maurer (2018). European cooperation abroad: European diplomatic cooperation outside EU borders. The Hague Journal of Diplomacy 13(1): 1-19.
Personal website: http://heidimaurer.eu/