Tuesday, 24 November
Registration for the event is open here.
Please join GLOBSEC’s virtual roundtable discussing post-COVID R&I strategies of CEE national governments, industry and academia.
Picking up from the first GLOBSEC Lighthouse Digital and Energy Transition R&I workshops in March and July 2020 respectively, this joint virtual webinar is returning to the topic of CEE R&I in the context of the twin green and digital objectives underpinning EU recovery policy.
- How are governments and companies balancing stabilization and recovery needs with long-term innovation strategies? Does the recovery take resources from or add to R&I budgets?
- Climate action and digital spending are earmarked across the NGEU and MFF which includes updated EU innovation funding instruments. How will the national approach to R&I change over the next seven-year funding period compared to the last?
- How does R&I policy compliment reskilling and upskilling of the workforce? How are companies and universities training data and energy specialists for the jobs of tomorrow? What can be offered to attract skilled workers and academics to narrow the West-East innovation gap over the next decade?
- While CEE countries are competing for foreign direct investment and domestic technological breakthroughs, what are opportunities for regional cooperation in developing clean/digital technologies and infrastructure? What is the role of the EU neighbourhood, especially Ukraine and the Balkans? How does this fit pan-European projects supporting Europe’s technological sovereignty and strategic autonomy?
10:00-10:30 - Session I: Setting the scene for CEE
- Eleonora Moro, Researcher, E3G
- Peter Balik, Director General, Ministry of Investments, Informatization and Regions, Slovak Republic
10:30-11:00 - Session II: Response from academia
Led by Nolan Theisen, Climate and Energy Fellow, GLOBSEC
- Atanas Georgiev, Dean & Head of Department, FEBA, University of Sofia
- Maros Halama, Vice Dean for Science, Innovation and International Relations, Technical University in Kosice
11:00-11:30 - Session III: Stakeholder Response and Discussion