25.11.2019 - DIFF GOV City Talk in Košice
Judging from the vantage point of the level of development of European defence policy, it is admittedly not an understatement to conclude that the European Union (EU) will not have the capacity to fully replace NATO. However, the EU and its Member States are investing more and more in shaping its common defence policy. Will the EU stick to predominantly inclusive (i.e. uniting) formats of cooperation or will it push forward exclusive structures under the auspices of the “coalition of the willing”?
Closer integration in defence would bring more security for European citizens, more stability at the EU borders, and a stronger voice for the EU as global actor. A strong European defence could also strengthen NATO, leading to improving its effectiveness in the EU neighbouring countries. How countries in Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) can contribute to the success of the European defence integration? What does the closer European defence integration mean for Slovakia, and for broader Central and Eastern Europe region? How CEE could benefit the most from this cooperation?
Those will be some topics covered during the discussion in a framework of DIFF GOC City Talks. This time the event will take place in Košice on 25 November 2019 (Monday) in Tabačka Kulturfabrik (Kinosála).
The discussion will consist of two panels:
17:00 – 17:45
Vision(s) of European Defence Policy
- Gen. Pavel Macko, Defence and Security Expert, TOGETHER – Civic Democracy, Bratislava
- Katarína Jurišová, Advisor to the State Secretary Robert Ondrejcsak, Ministry of Defence of the Slovak Republic, Bratislava
- Col. Jozef Zekucia (Ret.), Director, Stratpol, Brno
Moderátor: Martin Reguli, Research Fellow, GLOBSEC Policy Institute, Bratislava
Is Central and Eastern Europe ready to shape Europe Defence Policy of the future?
- Vladimír Tarasovič, Senior Research Fellow, Slovak Foreign Policy Association, Bratislava
- Tomáš A. Nagy, Advisor to the State Secretary Robert Ondrejcsak, Ministry of Defence of the Slovak Republic, Bratislava
- Tomáš Koziak, Rector, Academia Rerum Civilium, Kutná Hora, Faculty of Political Science, Pavol Jozef Šafárik University, Košice
- Myroslava Lendel, Professor, the Uzhhorod National University, Uzhhorod (tbc)
Chaired by: Martina Babikova, Research Fellow, GLOBSEC Policy Institute, Bratislava
What was the objective?
The objective of this city talk it foster more interest in participating in the European Union among general public, leading to active European citizenship. What is more to enhance the understanding of the processes related to differentiated integration taking place in Brussels.
The discussion will be held in Slovak. This event will be live streamed.
This city talk forms part of a bigger 2 years long international project implemented by GLOSBEC called DIFF GOV: European Governance: Potential of Differentiated Cooperation DIFF GOV is possible thanks to support of the European Commission Jean Monnet Activities of the EU Programme Erasmus+
This city talk is organized in cooperation with Department of Political Science of Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Kosice.
Event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/537171793781803/
Register here: https://www.eiseverywhere.com/esurvey/index.php?surveyid=79082