28.11.2019 - Conference on the Future of Europe
GLOBSEC Policy Institute together with Austro-French Centre for Rapprochement in Europe in Vienna and Institut Français des Relations Internationales in Paris, organize:
Conference on the Future of Europe, Brexit, Climate Change, Migration: A new momentum for Europe
Brexit, Climate Change, Migration: A new momentum for Europe
The Conference takes place on 28th November 2019, 9.00– 13.30 in
Institut Français de Relations Internationales (IFRI), 27 Rue de la Procession, 75015 Paris, France
Opening: Dominique DAVID, President, Austro-French Centre for Rapprochement in Europe
9:00 – 10:10: Opening Session: The European Union after Brexit
What impact will Brexit have on the cohesion of the Union, the rise of Euroscepticism and the deepening and the widening prospects of the EU? How will Brexit change the in, the intergovernmental cooperation logic and how will it affect the positioning of France, Austria and the Visegrad-Group in the EU?
• Jean-Louis BOURLANGES, Member of the Assemblée Nationale, Paris
• Michael Linhart, Austrian Ambassador in Paris (tbc)
• Jakub WISNIEWSKI, Deputy President and Research Director, GLOBSEC Policy Institute, Bratislava
Moderation: Hans Dietmar SCHWEISGUT, Secretary General, Austro-French Centre for Rapprochement in Europe, Vienna
10:10 – 11:30: Panel 1: Political and Economic interests vs. the fight against climate change?
Can political and economic interests be in line with the fight against climate change or is it an either-or decision? How can one make sure that the technological progress goes hand in hand with the protection of the climate? What are they key points of the Europe 2020 Strategy? What are the main aims for the COP 25 in Chile? And what are the goals of the High Ambition Coalition founded during the climate summit in Paris? What plan does the EU offer to better flight against climate change?
• Mauro PETRICCIONE, Director-General, Directorate-General for Climate Action (DG CLIMA), European Commission
• Ingrid BROCKOVA, Ambassador of the Slovak Republic at the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), Paris
• Dieter BEINSTEINER, Senior Advisor, Climate Section, Federal Ministry for Sustainability and Tourism of the Republic of Austria, Vienna
• Thomas LIEBAULT, Deputy Director Climate - Environment, French Ministry of European and Foreign Affairs (tbc)
Moderation: Dominique DAVID, President, Austro-French Centre for Rapprochement in Europe; Advisor to the President, Institut Français des Relations Internationales, Paris
11:30 – 12:00: Coffee Break
12:00 – 13:15: Panel 2: A Reconstruction of the Schengen Area?
How will the Schengen area of tomorrow look like? What are the strengths and the weaknesses of the current (or the future) Schengen area? What are the next steps towards the creation of a Common European Asylum Authority? What would be the prerogatives of a European Council for Interior Security that President Marcon is asking for? What will be the stance of the new Commission towards the migration challenges? How to unite EU member states with different visions towards migration policy?
• Berndt KOERNER, Deputy Executive Director, FRONTEX, Warsaw
• Alessandra VENTURINI, Professor, University of Turin; Associate et former Deputy Director, Migration Policy Center, European University Institute, Florence
• Christophe BERTOSSI, Director, Center for Migration and Citizenship, Institut Français des Relations Internationales, Paris
• Roderic PARKES, Senior Analyst, European Union Institute for Security Studies (EUISS), Paris
Moderation: Alena KUDZKO, Deputy Research Director, GLOBSEC Policy Institute, Bratislava
13:15 – 13:30: Conclusion
Thierry DE MONTBRIAL, President, Institut français des relations internationales