EU’s Beating Cancer Plan: Closing the Gap in Cancer Care in the CE & Baltics
November 21st, 2023| Time 8:30 - 14:30 CET
GLOBSEC is proud to present an upcoming event that centers on the critical aspects of implementing the EU Mission on Cancer and exploring the myriad opportunities within the EU Beating Cancer Plan. This event will bring together thought leaders and experts to examine the vital role of the European Parliament, with a particular emphasis on the outcomes and recommendations originating from the Special Committee on Beating Cancer (BECA).
Furthermore, the event will provide a platform for EU member states to provide updates on their individual progress in implementing the Cancer Plan and establishing a network of cancer care centers. It presents an unparalleled opportunity to gain insight into the ongoing efforts to combat cancer within the European Union, offering a space for policymakers, experts, and stakeholders to engage in meaningful dialogue. Be part of this event to stay informed about the latest advancements in the fight against cancer and the collaborative strategies shaping the future of cancer care in the EU.
9:00 Official Welcome: by Jakub Dvořáček, Deputy Minister, Ministry of Health, Czech Republic and by Prof. Róbert Babeľa, Vice-Rector, Slovak Medical University
- Jakub Dvořáček, Deputy Minister, Ministry of Health of Czech Republic
Michal Štofko, State Secretary, Ministry of Health of Slovak Republic
- Radka Maxová, Member of the European Parliament, Subcommittee on Public Health (online)
- Marek Svoboda, Board Member of the EU Cancer Mission, Director of Masaryk Oncology Institute
- Soňa Čierniková, Representative of National Oncology institute in Slovakia
- Prof. Roman Hájek, Head of Department of Hematooncology, the University Hospital of Ostrava
- Prof. Jelena Bila, Head of the Ward for Multiple Myeloma at the Clinic of Hematology, University Clinical Center of Serbia, Chair of Serbian Myeloma Group, General Secretary of the Balkan Myeloma Study Group
- Dr Gábor Mikala MD, Phd, Head of Division, Department of Hematology and Stem Cell Transplantation, South Pest Central Hospital - National Institute for Hematology and Infectious Diseases, Budapest, Hungary
- Kate Morgan, Co-Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Myeloma Patient Europe (online)
- Led by: Prof. Róbert Babeľa, Vice-Rector at the Slovak Medical University
11:20 – 11:30 Presentation: Is it effective to invest into innovative cancer treatment? Research study results from the field of the hematology cancer care
Presenter: Prof. Róbert Babeľa, Vice-Rector at the Slovak Medical University
11:30 – 11:50 Presentation: Multiple Myeloma in Central and Eastern Europe
Supporting early and equitable access to care to improve patient outcomes
Presenter: Gerard Dunleavy, PhD, The Economist
11:50 – 12:00 Presentation: My vision for multiple myeloma patient care across CEE
Presenter: Mira Armour, Caregiver and Patient Advocate, CEO MijelomCRO
12:00 – 12:15 Closing remarks: How would you evaluate the significance of enhancing multiple myeloma care in your country? What aspects are critical to start with?
Led by: Prof. Róbert Babeľa, Vice-Rector at the Slovak Medical University
12:15 – 13:15 Lunch Break
13:15 – 14:30 Breakout Rooms for Discussions for Patients' Organizations and for Key Opinion Leaders
Learn more about the topics, panelists, and presenters in the PDFs below.