Thursday, 9 September 2021
9:00-10:15 AM Central European Time
4:00-5:15 PM Japanese Time
To join the event, please register on this link before the 8th of September, 2021.
The event will be live-streamed on this page (on the video tile below) and on our social media channels.
GLOBSEC in cooperation with The Sasakawa Peace Foundation has the pleasure to invite you to an online discussion titled
Exiting Normal: Emerging Disruptive Technologies and their Impact on Military Operations and Equipment
The event program is the following:
Central European Time:
9:00 – 9:05 am Opening remarks by moderator
9:05 – 9:20 am Briefing or short talk by each speaker
9:20 – 9:50 am Discussion among all the speakers
9:50 – 10:00 am Closing comments by each speaker
10:00 – 10:15 am Q&A with the audience, closing remarks by moderator
4:00 – 4:05 pm Opening remarks by moderator
4:05 – 4:20 pm Briefing or short talk by each speaker
4:20 – 4:50 pm Discussion among all the speakers
4:50 – 5:00 pm Closing comments by each speaker
5:00 – 5:15 pm Q&A with the audience, closing remarks by moderator
During the webinar, we will be discussing the following questions:
- Which emerging technologies hold the greatest potential to be a true gamechanger on operations and in the theatre?
- As technological innovation continues to accelerate, what is the best way to ensure allies and international partners don’t suffer from an increasing interoperability gap?
- How can emerging security and defence technologies be incorporated into existing frameworks of ethics and rules? Are there specific technologies that should be prohibited?
- Looking to the future, it is the year 2040. How does technology help militaries achieve mission success and defend national interests?
Joining us as speakers will be:
- Stella Adorf, NATO International Civilian, Head of Situational Awareness at the NATO Headquarters Situation Center
- Anna Knack, Deputy Lead of the Technology, Disruption and Uncertainty research workstream, RAND Europe
- Bonji Ohara, Senior Fellow, The Sasakawa Peace Foundation
- Colonel Masahiro Shizu, Chief Director, Innovation Driving Office for Emerging Technology, Japan Air Self Defense Force (Air Staff Office)
The discussion will be moderated by Roger Hilton, Security & Defense Fellow at GLOBSEC Policy Institute.
The event will be held in English and Japanese. Attendees will be able to select the audio channel to hear the translated audio in their language of choice.